Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Painted Subfloor In Den

We pulled up the carpet in the den, patched a bad spot near the patio door. I can't afford what I want and hate to spend money on a temporary fix, so I'm seriously thinking about just painting the sub-flooring and being done with it. I'll update when I decide and as we progress.

The hardest and most time consuming part was preparing the floor. The carpet came up fast but there were staples to remove, I used a monkey wrench to grab and roll them out. I used a floor patch and leveler to fill nail holes and level the joints, of course we sealed it before painting. I used an exterior satin latex paint so I can mop it. One gallon covered my 13'x18' den, the hallway, and the baseboards, with enough left over for future touch-ups.

Update: I decided to paint it at least for now.
It's just a nasty ole chipboard subfloor, standard in mobile homes, but I patched, leveled, sealed, painted, and replaced the trim with 'window and door trim because it's what I had. Had I thought about it, I might have tinted the sealer to make the inevitable scratches in the paint less noticeable. I don't mind at all that it's a bit rough though, I like 'rustic'.

No comments:

Post a Comment