Monday, September 12, 2011

Simple Denim Apron

Here's the apron I made in less than an hour for my Step-mother's birthday which was yesterday. We don't usually do much or exchange gifts for birthdays in our family these days (it's gotten too big to afford), but I'd noticed her old favorite denim apron had seen it's better days, so I had planned to make her one anyway. Her birthday 9/11, it's such a solemn day now.... She's never complained or even mentioned it, but I thought it would be nice to do something a little more special this year. So me and my sisters and family's met them for lunch after church. I'm glad we did it was nice. She was surprised and really sweet about it.

There are free apron patterns all over the internet, but I just used my own favorite apron. I folded my denim fabric in half, then positioned my folded apron on top,traced out the pattern, and cut it with a rotary wheel cutter. The pocket, neck and waist ties were leftovers from quilting projects.

I just left the fringe, sewing a tiny crease in the edge to keep it from unraveling

Yes those are curtain ring hooks.... She's short-waisted and I was concerned that the bib would be too loose, the neck hole would be too small. I did't want her to mess up her hair-do just to get it on and off, so I  used what I had on hand! What I wanted was those buckles like on suspenders, since it was after all, denim, but I didn't have any.


Now I've got it on my mind to make some more aprons for Christmas gifts, but I think I'll put a band around the waist so I can add a fuller skirt made of lightweight cotton. I'd like to be able to pick it up and use it to dry my hands and such, almost like a dish towel. Ooh, I could make them reversible! Ooh ooh ooh, what if I made the bibs removable, AND reversible? Hmmm maybe I could use buttons to attach them. Okay, back to the sewing machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment